Friday, September 16, 2011

Tonight's bon appetitin' casserole

Tonight's casserole was certainly an example of eating what's on hand.

I fried hamburger in a cast iron skillet, with chopped onions and hot peppers, sliced zucchini and yellow squash, minced garlic, a dash of teriyaki sauce (actually 2 dashes).  After everything was done, I stirred in a tablespoon of flour, stirred that around a bit, added half a cup of heavy cream, a cup of my own beef stock  -- see my page at http://www.bettertimesinfo.org/4stock.htm  if you haven't read my instructions on making your own stock -- some yogurt cheese, some shredded mozzarella cheese, and voila, top of the stove casserole.  I suppose it could have gone into the oven at some point, but we were hungry.  And this was done in less than 30 minutes, starting with a frozen pound of grassfed hamburger.  Everything was from the coop.

We went to see the movie Contagion this afternoon, and I guess the scenes of looted/empty supermarkets and food riots and etc  stimulated our appetites.  That movie is one of the best arguments for food storage that I've seen lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment